As the role of procurement has evolved beyond the traditional “purchasing” function, the strategies, skills and insights a procurement organization needs to operate effectively have also expanded. Our cross-functional approach focuses on addressing all of the elaborate roles and activities required of a procurement organization today. In addition to identifying supplier and negotiating complex transactions, our dynamic facilitators also work with your team to help address both internal and external challenges strategically and effectively.
Our procurement training programs will equip you with the essential skills you need to work effectively with suppliers and vendors.
Procurement Negotiation Skills
In a world of competitive quotes and strategic sourcing, buyers need to be sophisticated negotiators to press their advantage, negotiate better terms and develop long-term relationships with key suppliers. Developing and implementing a proactive negotiation strategy puts the buyer in a stronger position to lower costs and cultivate a strong negotiation position.
Key modules include:
- Preparing for Negotiations
- Developing an Effective Procurement Negotiation Strategy
- Advanced Procurement Negotiation Techniques
- Maximizing Persuasiveness
Elements of Contracts
Purchasing groups negotiate for more than simply price, and they receive more than just products and services in exchange. A buyer must also know how to negotiate the more nuanced subjects of a contract, including terms and conditions that change the value of a deal. A successful buyer must be familiar with how payment terms, liability clauses, deadlines, insurance requirements and more can mean the difference between success and failure in the negotiation.
Key learning objectives include:
- Negotiating Better Terms and Conditions
- Key Elements of Successful Contracts
- Maximizing Value
Strategic Problem Solving
A strategic purchasing group works in a very complex business environment. The range of functions include synergizing resources to lower costs, partnering with suppliers to advance technology, preparing for unexpected disruptions in supply chain and controlling crisis when necessary. To be effective, buyers need to approach problems from a strategic perspective that takes into account stakeholders at all levels, encourages creative option building and provides an effective way of valuing options based on both long and short-term goals. This ultimately allows a well-run procurement group to convert ideas into action.
Key modules include:
- Framework for Strategic Problem Solving
- Developing and Executing an Action Plan
- Goal setting and Problem Identification Exercise
Members of a purchasing group must work together seamlessly to share information, prepare for negotiations, develop supplier relationships and take advantage of supply chain opportunities. Yet elegant teamwork is more than just a matter of chance. The best teams continually work on the skills they need to ensure that their team can think, plan, and act together – utilizing collective strengths to accomplish more as a team than they could individually.
Key modules include:
- Positive Creative Collaboration
- Strategies for Successful Communication
- Fostering Idea Generation and Building Trust
Prism Learning’s Customization Process
You can choose a specific program to meet your immediate training need or partner with us to establish a comprehensive, customized curriculum that enhances the skills of your procurement organization and supports your overall strategy.
- Your team is surveyed regarding issues and challenges faced in your current procurement process
- Data collected in surveys analyzed by Prism Learning in consultation with your staff
- Content and cases are customized and tailored to the needs of participants based upon data gathered in the first stage
- Specific case studies developed to address the key issues faced by your team
- Fully customized training program delivered based on your team’s needs
- Strong emphasis on participatory and experimental learning
- Post-training analysis to assess training impact
- Continuing post-program support available on an ongoing basis